Saturday, August 05, 2006

How to add a Bloglines Blogroll to Blogger

So, how hard is it to add a Blogroll that originates from Bloglines? (BTW, a Blogroll is just a list of the blogs you have subscribed to in Bloglines.)

Very hard.


It looks simple. You just go to Bloglines, click Tips underneath your list of feeds, and there's a nice Blogroll wizard. Easy? Nope. Here's the tricky part: You have to know your Bloglines username. And no, it's not the address you used to sign up with.

To get your Bloglines username, go to Bloglines and click Account in the upper right of the screen. Then select Blog Settings. Enter the username you want to use. Then, beside Show my Blogroll, be sure to select Yes, publish my Blogroll.

Now go back to the Tips page and the Blogroll wizard. Enter your username and the title of the folder you want to pull from, if you're being specific. Click Generate HTML.

To get your Blogroll onto your Blogger blog, log into Blogger and select the blog you want to add the Blogroll to. Click Template, then Edit Current if that tab isn't already selected.

In the actual template HTML section, scroll down until you see the list of links. As a default, they usually look something like this:

<li><a href="http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=110">Edit-Me</a></li>

Delete everything between <li> and </li>. Then paste the code the Bloglines Blogroll Wizard generates in the same place, betwen the <li> and </li> tags.

(I think. I left mine between the <li> and </li> tags, but I'm not sure that's necessary; possibly you can delete them too.)

Preview your template to make sure your Blogroll is working.

7 comments:

HeleneB said...

Very cool Jamie. I'm so glad you shared this tip so other staff can try it too!

Library Lady said...

Is it manditory to use bloglines?

I just go into my template and scroll down to my blogroll which I retitled "off the record" and follow the format given by blogger, substituting the new webpage and blog name.

I do this b/c I didn't know about bloglines...I'm I missing something by not using it? Maggie

Wendy Zammit said...

HI Jamie, Thanks for this- it would have saved me four hours of frustraion yesterday if I had known about it- but at least I can pass it on to others!!

madcat said...

jamie! you are my new best friend. I've been confused by the bloglines username thing for so long that I started to doubt I actually graduated college. Anyway, thanks so much!

Amanda Hebebrand said...

Thank you. I wasted hours the other night trying to figure that out.

Amanda Hebebrand said...

Thank you. I wasted hours the other night trying to figure that out.

Jaime said...

Thank you! I emailed bloglines about my account name, and they never wrote back. Thanks for solving this for me!

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com - background image by Wagner Campelo