Friday, September 08, 2006

LibraryThing


I just spent over an hour playing with LibraryThing. It's a very cool online application that lets you catalog the books you own or want to own - it let me import my wishlists from Amazon and Amazon.co.uk, and apparently will let me import my library from Reader2, if Reader2 ever becomes operational again. (It's down right now.)

The import features means I'll be pretty likely to continue to use LibraryThing. It's super-easy to tag books, and the recommendations engine seems to work pretty well. I think that this will show you the books I have already added to my collection; almost all of them are "wishlist" books, meaning I don't own them yet.

I also like how easy it is to add a LibraryThing widget to my blog - check it out in the right-hand column. Overall, the site is less clunky than Reader2; I just hate that there is a limit to the number of books you can catalog before you have to pay up! On the other hand, $10 for a year's use isn't bad, and $25 for a lifetime's use is even better once you're sure you're going to use it.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Hi. I saw your post on Google Blog Search. Dmitry's other sites are also showing MySQL errors. I'll shoot him an email.

If you ever want to, I'd be interested to know what Reader2 features you miss. LibraryThing is more full-featured, but that comes with costs.

Incidentally, we're going to have "real" wishlists soon. Right now you have to settle for tags.

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com - background image by Wagner Campelo