Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sitting in front of the computer ... for HOW long?

Great post from Susan over at "Susan's Blog." She wonders if the Internet and blogging will replace face-to-face interaction, and how anyone finds time to read the thousands of great blogs and websites and still fit in books, newspapers and magazines.


I wonder too, Susan. There are hundreds of books I want to read but can't get around to, and over 200 RSS feeds in an old Bloglines account that I have just given up on. Somehow, sitting in a dark room reading from a computer screen makes me feel anti-social and reclusive, in a way that reading a book in front of the TV does not. (Which really doesn't make sense because I'm alone in both cases.)

I know people who sit in front of the computer all night; I can't see how they do it. I connected with someone I met online a few months ago and we've had a relationship for a while, all conducted through instant messaging. Chris thinks nothing of being online for 4 or 5 hours a night, and absolutely all day on weekends. Just thinking about doing that gives me a sick, queasy feeling. And I can't really explain why.

I don't know. I work in front of a computer 8 hours a day; I just don't want to sit in front of one all of my off-time too.

No comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com - background image by Wagner Campelo