Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Wow, It's been a long time.

Hmm. So. It looks an awful lot like I've fallen down on the job and not kept up with my Learning 2.0 adventure.

But I have, really I have!

I just haven't blogged about it.

If I'm not careful, this is going to be one of those horrid catch-up posts where I wind up listing a lot of links. So I'll just list a few of my favorite new discoveries, and catch up with a few more next time.

Recent Web 2.0 goodies

  • Backpack has taken its rightful place as the ruler of my world. Okay, not quite, but it's incredibly useful. Backpack lets you create pages for just about anything; each page can contain lists, notes and links. For a small charge ($5 a month, paid monthly) you can also add pictures, files and whiteboards. Regardless, you can share your page with anyone you want to see it, which makes it great for collecting notes for a joint project. I'm essentially using it as a notebook; after every meeting or brainstorming session, I transfer my notes to Backpack. I've also got pages for shopping lists, knitting projects, stuff I need to blog about, etc. I've tried websites like this before, but for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, Backpack really works for me.

  • Weatherbonk, which is a lovely mash-up of weather data with Google maps and traffic cameras, even helps you plan a trip by car based on what the weather is forecast to be along your route.

  • Twitter is meant to let friends know what you are doing at exactly this moment. Most of what's there is one-line posts like "Check out this neat site," but political candidates are putting it to really good use. See the John Edwards Twitter, for example, to see how this "vanity" site can actually be quite useful.

  • I've become a follower of The Consumerist, a shopping advocacy blog. Before you go shopping, check here! You'll learn about bad products, bad customer service, how a certain cell phone company really can't do math ...

  • Finally, I really like using the Flock browser. Flock is based on Firefox, but has been created specifically for web 2.0 tasks. Flock makes it easy to blog, use Flickr and other photo services, and read RSS feeds. It is a program that must be installed on your computer, but if you have the drive space for it, it's worth it! (Actually, there's a lot more to Flock, but I'll get deeper into the topic later.)

No comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com - background image by Wagner Campelo